2 cups starter/grower, grower/finisher, flock raiser or layer crumbles
2 cups scratch
1 cup of any Omega3 feed supplement such as Omega Egg Maker, Omega Ultra Egg or Nutrena Feather Fixer
3 eggs, beaten well & shells, finely crushed
4 cups oatmeal
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup cracked corn
¾ cup wheat germ
¼ Cup Sunflower Seeds
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup of herbs (**see herb choices below based on need)
½ cup raisins, cranberries finely or ½ cup diced apples
1 cup applesauce or pumpkin (my girls seem to like the pumpkin better)
2 cups molasses
3 cups water
1/2 cup melted coconut oil
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl
2. Mix the eggs, molasses and coconut oil in a separate bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour your mixture into greased pans (see below for suggestions)
5. Bake for thirty to forty-five minutes at 325 degrees. You may need to
bake slightly longer if you are using a deeper pan. The block is ready when
the edges have become dark and the middle is very firm.
6. Allow to cool completely. Serve it to your chickens.
The following herbs can be mixed and matched into your flock block:
Laying Stimulants: fennel, marjoram, nasturtium and parsley Respiratory Health: lemon balm, dill, oregano and thyme
General Health: cilantro, sage, spearmint and tarragon
Orange Egg Yolks: alfalfa, basil, dandelion greens and marigolds
Feather Growth: anise, fennel, garlic, mint and parsley
Any of these herbs, or a combination of them, can be mixed into your block